Phd Scholarships in Synthetic Biology at Macquarie University Australia 2019
The Department of Molecular Sciences at Macquarie University is offering TWO full-time postgraduate scholarships, funded through the ARENA R&D Program “Renewable Hydrogen for Export”, to undertake research studies leading to a PhD in 2019. The research project will be focused on the engineering of bacteria to efficiently and rapidly convert sugars from various renewable sources into hydrogen gas.
The PhD candidates will be responsible for experimental design and execution; including, design of genetic componentry, genetic reprogramming/metabolic engineering of bacteria; and the genomic, proteomic and metabolomic analysis of new strains.
The scholarship opportunities are available to suitably qualified candidate with a background in synthetic biology, metabolic engineering, molecular biology, biochemistry, microbiology, or a related field.
Worth of Award
The scholarship is comprised of Macquarie University Research Excellence Scholarship (MQRES) Tuition Fee Scholarship and Stipend.
The value and tenure of the scholarship is:
- MQRES Tuition Fee Scholarship; and
- MQRES Stipend (living allowance)
This scholarship provides a stipend currently valued at AUD $27,596 per annum (2019 rate, tax-exempt). The scholarship has been approved for a maximum of 3 years.
- Applicants can be International or Domestic (Australian citizens, Australian permanent residents or New Zealand citizens).
- To be eligible for a scholarship, applicants are expected to have a record of excellent academic performance and preferably, additional relevant research experience and/or peer-reviewed research activity in line with the University’s scholarship rating guidelines.
How to Apply
New applicants to Macquarie University will need to complete the Online HDR Candidature and Scholarship Application via the Online Application System and arrange for two academic referee reports to be submitted to the Higher Degree Research Office. Further information can be found on the How to Apply page.
Applicants who are currently enrolled in an MQ HDR program or applicants who hold a Macquarie University candidature offer LESS than 12 months old:
- Complete and submit the HDR Application for Scholarship Only form and include supporting documentation, such as:
- any additional information or research output since original application and commencement
- updated CV
- offer letter and/or research student profile
- Indicate the reference under the scholarship details question
- Email the application to firstname.lastname@example.org in ONE pdf document and MUST indicate in the subject line the MQ ID, full name and reference
- Request their referees to send the Academic Referee Reports directly to email@example.com.
While current candidates are eligible to apply, any consumed prior enrollment will be counted as advanced standing and will reduce the maximum scholarship duration offered.
Deadline: Applications close on 30 November 2018 11pm AEDT