Goethe Institute Writing Residency for Young African Writers in Burkina Faso 2019
The Goethe-Institut/ Bureau de liaison Ouagadougou invites applications for a writer’s residency for young African writers (less than 40 years) in 2019/20 in Burkina Faso.
This residency program aims to give a platform for free expression to writers who project the vision of (another) future in their writings, to writers who have restrictions of expression in their country of origin, to activist writers who express themselves in relation to social and/ or political transformations and challenges in their countries.
Worth of Award
- Assumption of the costs for transportation (from home country to Burkina Faso) and visa
- Accommodation during the 4 weeks residency
- Grant of 1.500 Euro for the residency period (incl. per diem and private transport) – paid in place in two instalments.
- The residence is open to writers of all literary genres: novel, poetry, essay, storytelling, narration, theatre, comic, etc.
- The production of a text is mandatory for the authors in residence. The texts produced will be published at the end of 2020, either in physical or digital version.
- Be under 40 years old
- Have at least one published text, either with a publisher or a newspaper,
on a blog or website or as a self-publication
- To be of African nationality by origin or by naturalization
- Have a writing project to develop during the residency
- Be available from November 2019
How to Apply
Application and document to provide:Article continues after this ad
- Letter of motivation specifying your author’s career, your personal situation, your expectations and the reasons for your application for the residency
- Description of your project to develop during the residency
- Curriculum Vitae
- Full biography (max. 500 words)
- PDF or links of texts already published
- The selection process for the residency writers will be conducted by an external jury of three professional authors (Names to be confirmed).The applications shall be sent to the following addresses:Carolin Christgau, Director Goethe-Institut:
Francois d’Assise Ouédraogo, Assistant Goethe-Institut:
Deadline for Goethe Institute Writing Residency : Applications close on Sunday, July 7, 2019 (23:59 GMT +0)