CSIRO Postdoctoral Fellowship in Bioinformatics for Immuno-Engineering in Australia 2019
CSIRO invites applications for a PhD qualified Bioinformatician to join the Digital Genome Engineering Team with experience in immunology and machine learning as well as demonstrated knowledge of modern compute frameworks (HPC, Cloud) to help them develop new treatment regimens that boost the capabilities of the native immune system in 2019.
CSIRO Early Research Career (CERC) Postdoctoral Fellowships provide opportunities to scientists and engineers who have completed their doctorate and, in this case, have less than three years relevant postdoctoral work experience.
You will join the high-performing Transformational Bioinformatics Group from the Australian e-Health Research Centre (AEHRC) and collaborate closely with world experts in Gene Therapy from Westmead, Children’s Medical Research Institute as well as molecular technology from Jinan University, China.
CSIRO’s e-Health research program, the Australian e-health Research Centre, is a specialist research organisation in delivering innovation to the health system. CSIRO’s research scientists work with clinicians and researchers to identify the clinical and/or health challenge and how advanced data science can address the key issue.
The charter of the Transformational Bioinformatics Group is to develop novel bioinformatics solutions for research and industry using the latest in cloud and BigData infrastructure. We specifically focus on population-scale ‘omics (genomics, transcriptomics, methylomics) analysis as well as genome engineering applications in the context of precision medicine and biosecurity.
Your duties will include:
- Carry out innovative, impactful research of strategic importance to CSIRO that will, where possible, lead to novel and important scientific outcomes.
- Develop innovate concepts, theories, tools and techniques related to the analysis of the T-cell repertoire.
- Undertake regular reviews of relevant literature and patents.
- Produce high quality scientific and/or engineering papers suitable for publication in quality journals, for client reports and granting of patents.
- Prepare appropriate conference papers and present those at conferences as agreed with your supervisor.
Worth of Award
Salary is AU$83k- AU$94k plus up to 15.4% superannuation
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as Bioinformatics, Immunology or Gene Therapy. Please note: To be eligible for this role you must have no more than 3 years (or part time equivalent) of postdoctoral research experience.
- Evidence of developing machine learning methodology (e.g. RF, SVM, ANN) as well as more than one language relevant for bioinformatics (e.g. Python, Java, C++, Scala, BASH, R).
- Proven impact from developing solutions on public cloud infrastructure (AWS, Alibaba cloud, GCP Azure) or high-performance compute (HPC) with demonstrated software engineering practices (use of repositories, deployment standards, efficiency analysis).
- The ability to work effectively as part of a multi-disciplinary, regionally dispersed research team, plus the motivation and discipline to carry out autonomous research.
- High level written and oral communication skills with the ability to represent the research team effectively internally and externally, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences
How to Apply
To apply online, please provide a CV and cover letter addressing the selection criteria.
Deadline: Applications Close at 10.59 AEST July 7, 2019.